Total Pageviews

Monday 23 September 2013

Grand Theft Auto Five: First Impressions

Just to make this clear straight away, this is NOT my review of GTA V, it's simply a few thoughts on my first impressions of the game. Expect an extended review later in the week! There are a few small spoilers in this article, please don't read on if this threatens you!

I'm plunged head first into a bank robbery in a secluded American town. Before I have a moment to readjust myself to this unexpected scene, a blast door explodes in a hail of shrapnel and fire. Customers shriek and run as myself and my three fellow thieves rush into the vault, quickly filling bags full of cash. Our pockets weighed down with the money, we charge outside and straight into the guns of a police convoy. Instantly weapons are revealed as we open fire on the amassed cops. I see one of our party fall out of the corner of my eye and quickly switch to a different robber, unloading a full magazine of bullets into a nearby car. It explodes, flames billowing up into the sky as police officers scatter and another car ignites. Then we're running, guns blazing as we sprint towards the safety of the getaway car. To our horror, the driver receives a bullet to the head and I take the wheel, steering the massive Land Rover into a nearby village before spectacularly crashing it into a snow drift, the windows imploding in a flash of deadly broken glass. Another of our party takes a bullet from a sniper as we exit the wrecked vehicle, leaving just two of us. It isn't long before the other is hit too, and, wounded, he urges me to escape. I attempt to protect him for as long as possible, my clearly psychotic character mixing spent bullets with violent expletives as he defends his friend. Eventually the police are too much for me however, and as I desperately lurch into a snowy field thick with fog, the camera pans up and the screen fades into darkness. This is Grand Theft Auto.

As the intro credits roll, I'm struck with just how much the opening scene felt like the beginning of a big budget action movie, and this theme continues as I'm introduced to a new character, young gang member Franklin, and his friend Lamar. Our first job is to take two flashy sports cars back to our dealer boss; I select a red model and we're soon on our way. As the automobiles screech onto the highway, it's clear just how much the driving mechanics have been improved since GTA IV. The cars have a certain weight about them, but they feel far more flexible and nimble than the ultra-realistic IV. More than the cars, the city around me just looks incredible. Los Santos is a huge, sprawling district, but the level of detail put into every street is simply stunning, with unique graffiti, adverts and buildings making every corner feel like a totally different place. I'd had my doubts on how well the game would run of 8 year old hardware, but I notice no texture problems or frame rate issues as I cruise through the city streets, and the visuals are just superb. Jamming my foot on the pedal, I shoot past skyscrapers and pedestrians, narrowly avoiding a surely lethal crash by using Franklin's ability to slow down time while driving. With the cars returned, it's time for a little exploration.

As I walk towards what the game has designated "my car", I let out a whoop of delight. It is a sports car of a deep purple hue, with the custom license plate "HIT-GIRL" reflecting my favourite character in, well, anything. It's a car I'd designed a few days earlier on Rockstar's own iFruit app, and while the app promised to allow me to drive the car in-game, I'm still amazed by this remarkable integration. Stepping out of the car, I'm once again shocked by the level of detail the game has to offer; I can get my hair cut; play tennis in a local court or check my bank balance in an ATM. Little touches, but they really help to dramatically improve the quality of the game. Remembering something I've wanted to do since I saw the first trailers for the game, I jack a car and drive for the nearest mountain, it's high enough, although nowhere near the size of Mount Chiliad. As I drive up the slope, deer scatter and hikers dive for cover, cursing. Again, details. Reaching the summit, I cast my eye over the whole of Los Santos, and it looks phenomenal. The draw distance is truly impressive, and I can see everything from crowded slums to skyscrapers penetrating the cloud line. Just phenomenal.

On first impressions, I'd say it has all the makings to be the best GTA game ever (even topping my personal favourite Vice City), and surely one of the greatest games of all time. Hats off to Rockstar North, this looks to be an incredible gaming achievement!

No comments:

Post a Comment